When I first tell people where I live, the reaction is the same. Eyebrows raise and then furrow, “Isn’t that a long way from work?” Yep, it’s quite a commute, particularly when winter weather shows up. So, the goal is to leave the house in time to miss as much traffic as possible. That means the alarm goes off before 5:00 a.m. And that means anything that can reduce the morning routine is a good idea.
My latest idea is to cut down breakfast time. I came across this recipe on Pinterest. (Now, there’s a whole other blog post!). I whipped up a batch tonight and we tested one out. These will make a quick and tasty breakfast tomorrow morning. I’ll freeze the rest to be ready to go whenever we’re in a hurry. I imagine these egg muffins would be great for kids getting ready for school too.
What do you do to help your morning routine? Someday we’ll shorten the commute time, but in the meantime, it’s egg muffins!
Broccoli and Italian Sausage Egg Muffins
1 pound Italian sausage (sweet, mild, hot variety depending on your preference)
( I added several about 1 tsp. of dried fennel to the sausage mixture.)
1 cup broccoli florets
8 large eggs
1/4 cup milk (or half and half depending on how you’re feeling that day)
1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp baking powder
Salt & pepper to taste
Freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional as needed)
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. In a large saute pan, over medium high heat, brown Italian sausage for about 5 minutes or until the sausage is no longer pink. Remove from heat and stir in broccoli.
3. Whisk together eggs, milk, oil and baking powder. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Lightly spray a 12-cupcake pan with oil. Spoon out the sausage and broccoli mixture evenly into each cupcake.
5. Ladle the egg mixture over sausage and broccoli.
6. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. (I didn’t add this.)
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Originally posted on “Snacking in the Kitchen.”